Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Gulf Wars 25 - Lessons Learned

Hey all,

I just got back from Gulf Wars and had several learning moments I wanted to share.  All were related to fighting with a spear, but I think are good concepts to think about regardless of the weapon type.


Pacing During a Resurrection Battle

My fitness was higher this year than its been in a long time.  I was working out ~10 hours a week for the two months leading up to Gulf Wars, including a large amount of cardio.  I still got exhausted during the town battle on Tuesday.  Why?  Because no matter how good my fitness is, I can always push the red line for too long.  Its not a fitness issue, but rather a pacing issue.

After wearing myself out in the first 45 minutes, I had a brief conversation with Atlantian Crown Prince Sir Dietrich.  His recommendation was to treat it like an interval workout.  Go hard for 10-20 seconds, and then stand and recover for 1-2 minutes.  By doing this, I can still be aggressive, get lots of kills, and keep the enemy in check while still lasting the entire battle.  Taking this approach, I performed much better in the second half of the battle.


Avoiding Archers - Never Light 3 Cigarettes with One Match

Some people refer to this as Archer Wars.  Archers are absolutely everywhere!  My previous approach to archery was simply to go to the front and try to get as many kills as possible before getting shot.  Historically I'd get about 2 kills before getting shot when there is this level of archery on the field.  

This time I took a different approach which seemed to be much more successful.  There's an old superstition believed to have come from World War One;  never light 3 cigarettes with one match.  The first lit cigarette grabs the sniper's attention.  The second allows him to take aim, and the third gets shot.  Likewise, if you stand in the front and take too many shots with your spear, its not long before the archers spot you, take aim, and fire.

In this year's ravine battle, I made sure that I never spent too much time in the front line.  I'd sit back well behind the front rank and rest on my knees, watching the battle.  If I saw an opportunity for some action, I'd low walk up to the front line and take a handful of shots with my spear.  I never fired more than 3-5 times, killing 1-3 fighters, before I'd head back behind the ranks and take a knee again.

I probably had about the highest kill ration I'd ever had before in a battle with a lot of combat archery.


Finding Effective Positions in the Line Based on the way the Battle Plays Out

The job of a good spearman is not simply to get kills, or to stand there and wait for opportunities to present themselves.  A good spearman always needs to read the battlefield and determine the best way he or she can effect the battle.  The following is an example of what I did during the second field battle in an attempt to make myself as effective as I could:

I began the battle supporting Atlantia on the far right flank.  As Atlantia engaged, they began to push and roll the flank.  As this occurred, I sat in the second rank and looked for opportunities to open up in the gaps between the shields.  At one point, however, the flank started to fold so fast that I found that my help really wasn't necessary anymore.  I looked to my left and noticed a big kill pocket forming, so I moved over into the kill pocket in order to help whittle down the part of the line that had not yet collapsed.



As the battle progressed, however, the opponents sent in reinforcements to attempt to take back the right flank.  Recognizing that they likely had the numbers to now roll our flank back onto us, I repositioned myself again, this time back to the flank in order to help reinforce our flank against the new threat.

The bottom line really is simply to always be thinking about ways to position yourself to have to most positive impact on the battle.




12 comments:

  1. As an archer for Meridies, I had a similar philosophy in the Ravine battle. Rather than stay in one spot and cover a zone, I kept moving up and down the line from the center to the right flank, taking a knee to reload and keep my eyes up most of the time.

    This let me avoid getting sniped by enemy archers, while giving me a chance to disrupt little clumps of enemy troops who looked like they were getting organized. As always, enemy archers were the priority, and I killed quite a few that were just standing still looking around for shots in their zone-of-control (ZOC). After that I prioritized anyone who was pointing at things (assuming they were leaders or messengers from leaders) and anyone with a horizontal spear/polearm. I say horizontal because that meant they were actively thrusting with it and less able to block my shots. I never intentionally shot at a shieldman, in any of the battles, though I did kill one by accident when a bolt was deflected into him by someone else.

    The ravine battle was my favorite by far, and my most successful to date, and it was also the one that most felt like a 'real' medieval battle. It truly felt like my tactical choices made a concrete difference in my results.

    Gunnarr inn Hviti
    Meridies

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  3. LOL! That's a bit harsh!

    People always ask me what I think about archers, and truth be told, they keep guys like me in check. If it wasn't for archery, it would be us spears standing at the gallows pole! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for calling that dude out... Telling people to off themselves is rude... Also, thank you for your analysis on Gulf Wars. An event I am looking forward to going to some day.

      Delete
  4. I do a little bit of everything in Melees (including arch) and I have found that many times a loosely configured shieldwall will have no choice but to fall back when faced with 1-2 spears among the opposing line if they don't have spear backup to keep from getting picked apart on the angles. So I would caution any spearman backing out of a wall to rest or avoid getting shot to make sure that you are not leaving your shieldmen without spear cover. If you are faced with too many archers on the opposite side you may be able to re-position yourself behind a sheildman and remain close enough to keep the opposing spears from picking your shield line apart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Troy!

    Yeah, its entirely situational. In the ravine battle, no spear was going to stand in any one position for too long without getting shot, at least not near the flag I was fighting for.

    And what you described is an example of why you actually sit in the back and rest. Imagine this; I'm resting in the back on my knee. What do I see? Oh, some spears have come up to attack my shield wall. I come up and put pressure on those spears, hopefully killing one of them, or at least getting them to back off.

    I was only able to do that because I was alive.

    I now go back and hide. If those spears haven't been killed by me or an archer yet, then I go back up and attack, this time from a slightly different position.

    Again, entirely situational.

    I think the overall theme of this post is about striking a balance between being aggressive, but not wearing ourselves out - going to the most tactically effective positions in the battle, which might be finding a weakness in their line, or supporting a weakness in your line - and killing key people on the opposing side while avoiding getting killed by archery.

    In each of the three scenarios I had to make a tradeoff: resting means I'm not attacking, hiding means I'm not attacking, and repositioning means I'm not attacking in the spot where I just left. Each of these decisions has to be thought about carefully, and each one is a bit of a gamble.

    Anyway, I thought you made a great point, Troy. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree. All these decisions are entirely situational and striking a balance so you don't wear out is key to staying in for the whole battle. I love the Ravine battle at GW and it is always my goal to make it through the whole thing without having to sit out at any point. After all, If you're not on the field then you've conceded the fight. In 19 years of attending GW I have only had to sit down to rest one time. (I was in terrible shape and pushed myself too hard) Thankfully no real injuries though I have seen plenty. This year I got poison ivy though.

      Delete
    2. I learned the hard way on this battle the first year I went (Troy was king then!).
      I all but wore myself out in the first 10 minutes and had to sit before I went back in. Now I know better. I pace myself from point to point now, and pick my opportunities, whether forming groups to fill the shield wall, or braiding spears with a glaive, or waiting for the opposing charge to form up so I can come out of nowhere to attack it.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete